What is a Schoolvision assessment?
A Schoolvision assessment is a programme of diagnostic and screening tests which are carried out in addition to a standard NHS eye exam. The tests are designed to go much further and deeper into understanding the way your eyes work together, and to monitor improvements over time. The same principles can also be applied to adults, but the ideal time to identify and address these issues is during childhood.
In addition to the full eye test, the Schoolvision assessment checks :
- Detailed history & symptoms - difficulties at school or in the workplace
- Detailed muscle balance
- The stability of the dominant eye
- The ability for eyes to track a moving object
- That both eyes can focus clearly for distance and reading
- Reading speed
- Colour preference and light sensitivity
The Schoolvision assessment may result in a new prescription for spectacles or contact lenses. The patient will normally require a series of follow-up visits to adjust the prescription as the eyes adapt.
How does it help?
- Better school / workplace performance
- Increased reading speed and accuracy
- Better at arithmetic
- Increased self esteem / confidence
- Clearer writing
- Increased concentration
- Decreased tiredness & anxiety
- Reduced incidence of headaches / migraines
- Calming effect
- Better co-ordination and balance
For a more detailed explanation please download the Parent Sheet by clicking below.
Unfortunately these tests are not yet available from the majority of optical practices. Look for the Schoolvision logo or search our database to find a Schoolvision optician near you.